Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Tweets, Texts, Posts, and Blogs Attempt to Steal His Peace

   Therefore, since a promise remains of entering His rest, let us fear lest any of you seem to have come short of it. For indeed the gospel was preached to us as well as to them; but the word which they heard did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in those who heard it. (Hebrew 4:1,2 NKJV)

  
      Some days I just feel exhausted! So much to do. Running from activity to activity can be tiring, even when the activities aren't work related. I live in a relentless stream of information. My senses are bombarded with phone, text, Hey Tell, Facebook, Tweets,
Blogs, etc..... I love the access technology gives me to information related to whatever I am thinking about. I'm a chronic Googler. But sometimes, I need a break from the manic techno-stream. Still, I never turn my phone off. Sometimes the ringer, never the phone.
 
   God created everything that exists, then rested. He then commanded rest for His people thousands of years ago. They rested by obedience. Although we think of their lives as slow paced and antiquated, it was hard for them, too. So hard that a sophisticated distinguishing work from rest was alliterated. The Israelites knew exactly what efforts they could put forth on the Sabbath without sinning and they often tread the edge of that work/rest line.  
 
    In Chapter 3 of Hebrews, the writer recalls God's attempt to have His people enter HIs rest in the Promise Land. His attempt with met with unbelief, so He allowed an entire generation to walk in circles in the desert until they died, the led the next generation back to the Jordan where they crossed by faith.
 
      The New Testament reiterates nine of the ten commandments, but fails to reiterate the Sabbath. That's because Jesus is our Sabbath. The Israelites sent to wander because of lack of faith are a shadow of salvation by faith. My Sabbath rest began fifteen years ago when the Lord drew me to faith. It has been nurtured all these years by daily reading of His word (..faith comes by hearing and hearing by the word of God... Romans 10:17 NKJV).
 
   Therefore, since a promise remains of entering His rest... The promise of the Gospel is spiritual rest as the burden of our sin guilt is  shouldered for us by Christ, and inner peace is provided by Jesus through the comforting indwelling Presence. That rest abides in me as long as by faith I actively abide in Him. It can release peace that transcends my techno-hectic life. It transcends difficulty. It floods my heart  with His Holy Peace.
 
   Come to me all who are weary and heavy laden, and I will give you rest. (Matthew 11:28 NKJV) So today if you will hear his voice, His rest will abide and prevail. Social media and an array of devices cannot shout it down. Jesus doesn't receive Tweets, can't be Googled, doesn't text, has no cellular device and won't de-friend me. I can only commune with Him through His Word and in prayer and worship. When I don't (or won't), I feel His peace diminish.
 
    Is His Peace dominating your hectic life today?
 
Copyright 2013 Mission of the Master Ministries, Inc. May be reproduced in whole or in part without prior written permission if a link is provided to http://wordworkswednesday,blogspot.com
 
  
 
   
 
  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment