Wednesday, January 2, 2013

   I became aware of the real meaning of sabbath (rest) the day I was saved by Grace. Rest no longer meant a time of occasional physical refreshing,  or a legalistic weekly observance, but rather a continuous spiritual refreshing which provides restful peace in my heart. That's real rest. If my heart is troubled, no amount of physical inactivity can produce spiritual peace. Jesus promised me that if I would come to Him, He would give me rest. He and Holy Spirit are more comfortable than any comfy recliner. The rest I've found in Him will never end. It cannot be confiscated or stolen. I can only lose it by considering it anything less than my birthright as a born again child of God.
 
Photo from http://pithlessthoughts.blogspot.com
   Yet as we enter a new year, there arises in me an urge to re-evaluate, to make some annual plans for self improvement, to make some resolutionsI asked my ten year old granddaughter, Quinn, if she was making any New Years resolutions. Misunderstanding what  resolutions are, she immediately responded by listing a couple of items she'd like to get for Christmas in 2013. I think a lot of resolutions are like that. They are nice things that we'd like to have if we can just name them and receive them. Even our sincerest resolutions often evaporate in the heat of the ongoing days, when the best gifts of peace and rest are available without effort, by faith alone, because the sacrifice necessary to gain them as already been offered, is being offered, and will always be offered by Christ.
 
Paul wrote ...but I press on, that I may lay hold of that for which Christ Jesus has also laid hold of me. Brethren, I do not count myself to have apprehended; but one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind and reaching forward to those things which are ahead, I press toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus. (Ephesians 3:12a-14 NKJV) Residing in this verse I find the keys to endless years of sabbath rest.
 
1- but I press on, that I may lay hold of that for which Christ Jesus has also laid hold of me. -- Each sunrise is a gift from God allowing us a new day to grow toward the image of Christ. Peace flourishes in a manageable time span, one day, ordained by God as he flung the planets into orbit.
 
2- Brethren, I do not count myself to have apprehended;  -- Our faith is not a destination. We'll never arrive. We begin a decline in our Christian faith walk if we recognize our own seniority in the faith. Every new breath comes with a opportunity to grow in Christ.
 
3- but one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind and reaching forward to those things which are ahead, I press toward the goal....  Our goal is to reflect the image of Christ in a broken world. Our past failures can produce shame, so we need to forget the past, especially the sin failures in our past. We cannot walk in zeal for the Gospel if we are stuck in morbid reflection.
 
4- for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus. Jesus call offers real spiritual upward mobility. He calls us to higher ground, to a more profound understanding, to a deeper prayer life, to reflection on His Word, inching forward toward our real home in Heaven.

    I wish all of you a brilliant walk with Jesus in 2013. Come close to Him and He will be close to you. Seek Him and you will find Him. We cannot resolve to be better Christians, but we can submit our lives to it.

   "I have been crucified with Christ; and it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself up for me. (Galatians 2:20 NKJV)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment