Wednesday, January 23, 2013

I am ready to perform My word. (Jer 1:12) God is ready. Are you?

    
    I use a simple (cheap) spiral bound notebook as a prayer journal. When one gets full, I start a new one. I recently ran across an old prayer journal that was only slightly used. It was dated from 2005-06. I turned to the page listing those for whom I was praying for salvation. Most on that old list have been saved, but only after years of prayer. The others I still lift in daily prayer.
 
   I pray because God answers prayer. His Word is replete with examples of answered prayers in both the Old and New Testaments. My life as a Christian is also replete with answered prayers. I am not sure how long I would have continued sending requests to the Lord if He had never responded. His word assures me --  Ask and you will receive, that your joy may be full. (John 16:24) and... If you abide in Me, and My words abide in you, you will ask what you desire, and it shall be done for you. (John 15:7)
 
   So I pray.
 
   In personal evangelism, I have a tendency to want to also pray. By this I mean that I can easily fall to the terrible practice of fleshy evangelism based on my skills at quoting the right scriptures and my power of persuasion. That kind of prideful evangelism doesn't emanate from the Lord. My prayer journal always contains a short list of names of people I am asking the Lord to save. I ask the Lord to lead me to a scripture to pray over them when I sit with Him in prayer. I keep my list short -- ten or twelve at the most. I lift them in prayer every time I sit with the Lord. When the Lord's salvation comes to one of them, I mark down the date, then add a new name and scripture to replace them in my daily prayer time.
 
   Today I added a name, and got a scripture to pray over them during my prayer time, and I prayed for them. Having prayed for their salvation I consider them saved. Believing the promises of God, I know it is no longer a question of if they will be saved, but instead, when. God does not disappoint me in these prayers, although His timing and His methods often baffle me. 
 
   I believe this sad truth. Millions are lost in their sin because no one is praying for their salvation.   
 
   Who are you asking daily for the Lord to save? Hoping for the salvation of others is nice, but meaningless. Telling other Christians that you wish someone you love would give their heart to Jesus is just as useless. However, spending time in prayer, worshiping God, praising Him, and then pleading for the salvation of someone you love until it arrives will produce the fruit of salvation.

   Start with a very short list - two or three loved ones you really want to find the peace of Jesus, then pray each day. Stop hoping. Start waiting expectantly.
 
  Call to Me, and I will answer you, and show you great and mighty things..." (Jer 33:3)



No comments:

Post a Comment