Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Master the Ordinary.



Isaiah, inspired by Holy Spirit, wrote (55:11) So shall my word be that goes forth from my mouth; it shall not return to me void, but it shall accomplish what I please, and it shall prosper in the thing for which I sent it.

   I know two men who the Lord saved later in their lives, more than a year ago. I've encouraged both to begin reading their bibles, suggesting that they read the Gospel of John first. One has made multiple commitments to begin, the other has begun reading the New Testament at a rate of just a chapter or two a day. The first continues to promise himself he's about to begin reading, but is stalled without ever starting. The man reading daily is growing and thriving in the Lord, the other is stuck -- an inch past saved.

   When I observe the diverse group of Christians I know, this pattern repeats itself en mass. Those who have mastered the simple feeding strategy of daily bible reading and daily prayer prosper. Their peace increases, their humility increases, and they begin to become a living image of the scriptures they've been reading and the Lord they've been talking with in prayer. Those who attempt to rely on fellowship activities and Sunday messages plateau, stall, then drift back toward submission to their flesh. This occurs in my life too -- when I let my spiritual routine breakdown for any reason.

    John Spurgeon wrote -- Remember, Christ's scholars must study upon their knees.



   When we view God's Word as a book to be intellectually conquered or prayer as a required ritual, neither will open a pathway to fellowship with Christ. But when we view both as conversations with a loving Father, Friend, Savior, and Counselor  our faith is multiplied and our hearts prosper as God understands prosperity. It's almost too simple and it seems to require too little, and yet God's Grace eludes so many

   The formula for spiritual growth is very simple. Master the ordinary. Ingest scripture and spend time with the Lord in prayer daily. 

   

Copyright 2014 Mission of the Master Ministries, Inc. May be reproduced in whole or in part without prior written permission if a link is provided to  http://wordworkswednesday.blogspot.com    

   



 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment