Wednesday, February 12, 2014

My Prayer Life Got Hacked...




   I did a Google search the other day on a biblical subject and got many results. I selected the top one. It appeared to contain the right answer, but as I began to examine its contents, a pop up appeared. I immediately exited. Suddenly, another pop up appeared with a rolling counter itemizing how many corrupted files were on my laptop and offering me a solution for $39.99. Funny really, the corruption counter actually was the corruption. I'd caught a virus. It hacked my email and sent emails to everyone on my contact list. I'd been successfully hacked because I didn't watch where I was wandering on the internet. Many of you have had the same experience. My Internet service provider has assured me they are fixing the problem.

   This morning I realized I am having similar spiritual experience. It appears that my prayer life has been hacked. The vivid, intimate personal messages that usually flow from my lips to my Spiritual Service Provider (Jesus), and were returned by Him, have been corrupted. My prayer life has been hacked. The fire of God that He ignited in my heart seventeen years ago feels more like embers than a blaze. My shouts of praise have become whispers.

   ........like an oven heated by the baker, who doesn't stoke the fire from kneading time till the dough has risen. (Hosea 4:7 CJB) 

   I've been neglecting the fire of God, distracted by nothing in particular, insufficient distractions leading me quietly away from an all sufficient God. It isn't the first time my wayward heart has drifted to the inconsequential. 

   So, how can I fix this? Is the problem sin? Apathy? Unbelief? How can I get out of this dichotomized Christian life and be restored to a vivid life in Christ?

   I recognize that the Lord hasn't moved. He's still seated at the right hand of the Father interceding for me. He's not angry at me for drifting from His presence. I simply need to return to Him. For you that may mean more time spent in the word, but I've actually continued to read the word every day through this spiritual slump. At some point, however, I began reading the word with an open intellect but a closed heart, a transformation blocking error. Isaiah wrote -- So shall My word be that goes forth from My mouth; It shall not return to Me void, But it shall accomplish what I please, And it shall prosper in the thing for which I sent it. 

   I'll continue to read, trusting in the prospering of His word.    


The path from a plateaued spiritual life for me begins with prayerful worship. You can't climb down from a spiritual plateau, you have to climb higher. I began climbing this morning. Sluggishly, I logged onto the International House of Prayer live feed from their prayer room where they have maintained continuous 24/7/365 worship for 25 years. I simply sat and listened until I was captured by the spirit of their worship of the Lord, then I worshiped Him with them until prayer came. Not the corrupted selfish prayers my hacked prayer life produced, always focused on me, but prayers focused on Him. Then I simply soaked in  His Presence for a while.

   I feel like I've returned home. I have.

   Will this happen again? Probably. Will I more quickly recognize it next time? I hope so.

    A Psalm of Thanksgiving.
Make a joyful shout to the Lord, all you lands! Serve the Lord with gladness;Come before His presence with singing. Know that the Lord, He is God;It is He who has made us, and not we ourselves; We are His people and the sheep of His pasture. Enter into His gates with thanksgiving,And into His courts with praise.Be thankful to Him, and bless His name. For the Lord is good;His mercy is everlasting,And His truth endures to all generations. (Psalm 100:1-5 NKJV)

  
  

  

No comments:

Post a Comment