Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Now Shimei the son of Gera fell down before the king when he had crossed the Jordan. Then he said to the king, “Do not let my lord impute iniquity to me, or remember what wrong your servant did on the day that my lord the king left Jerusalem, that the king should take it to heart. For I, your servant, know that I have sinned. Therefore here I am, the first to come today of all the house of Joseph to go down to meet my lord the king.” (2 Samuel 18-20)
 
   I met an alter ego of myself today, a shadow and type for my flesh. His name is Shemei.
 
   In second Samuel we find an interesting story about King David that occurred at a point in his life where he was getting older and a little less fierce. His Son, Absolam, decided to depose and kill David, and take the throne that would have otherwise come to him in the normal line of ascension rather than wait. He managed to drive King David from Jerusalem and even from Israel. As David left Jerusalem, the servant Shimei helped deceive the King and bitterly cursed him. 
 
   Months later, after David's army had fought those loyal to Absolam and defeated them (including killing Absolam), David and his mighty fighting men congregated on the bank of the Jordan, ready to wade across into Israel. David delayed his crossing until those forces who had supported Absolam's rebellion came to him to resubmit themselves to King David's authority. But Shemei the deceiver didn't hide in the crowd. He came forward first, prostrated himself before David and asked for mercy, Do not let my lord impute iniquity to me, or remember what wrong your servant did on the day that my lord the king left Jerusalem, that the king should take it to heart...
 
    David's military leaders urged him to put Shemei to death, but David forgave him. Is such mercy really possible? Shemei knew he had committed a great sin and he showed great repentence, accompanied by acknowledgement that David had the authority to impute whatever punishment he deemed appropriate. Shemei's repentance was straight forward and unambiguous. He didn't attempt to justify what he had done, and he revealed his understanding of the gravity of the situation by hurrying to the front of the crowd to fess up as quickly as possible.
 
   I intend to never sin again, but know I will. Sometimes I feel like the boy pictured above, a dunce to sin, making a promise to "be good" that I know Ill never keep. I am a broken man living in a broken world. When I find myself again a sinner against King Jesus, I hurry to his feet, prostrate my heart before him, and request His mercy in the form of forgiveness by Grace. Therefore, here I am....The great preacher Charles Spurgeon put it like this -- “Perhaps you have been like Shimei, who cursed king David, and you are afraid that Jesus will never forgive you. But David forgave Shimei, and Jesus is ready to forgive you. He delighteth in mercy. I do believe that the harps of heaven never give to Christ such happiness as he has when he forgives the ungodly, and saith, ‘Thy sins are forgiven; go in peace.’ “
 
   If we confess our sins, He is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. (1 John 1:9)
 
   I hate that I fall to sin, but I do not have to fear it. Jesus has conquered sin's greatest consequence, death. Death, oh death, where is your sting?  As Spurgeon said, He delighteth in mercy. My sin always has prideful roots that seed renewed rebellion against King Jesus, and my repentance always travels on the wings of renewed submission to Him. My Shemei moments exalt themselves against the throne that will eventually quash them by Grace. Thank you merciful Lord Jesus. My hope is in you, Therefore, here I am.....Do not let my lord impute iniquity to me.
 
  
Copyright 2013 Mission of the Master Ministries, Inc. May be quoted in whole or in part without prior written permission if a link is provided to http://wordworkswednesday.blogspot.com
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
   

No comments:

Post a Comment