Wednesday, May 22, 2013

My Weirdest Prayer....


   My connection to Christ, my spiritual rebirth, began many years back when I read an explanation of the process of salvation written hundreds of years ago by John Wesley. I don't really remember much of what he had written except the term indwelt by the Holy Ghost. I had never heard that ordinary flawed folks like me could be occupied inwardly by God's Spirit. I began questioning people who said they were Christians, asking, "How can I be indwelt by the Holy Ghost." I got a wide variety of answers, but really no one I asked seemed to have a clue. Frustrated, one day I weirdly and nervously prayed to the Holy Spirit and/or Jesus (sort of a spiritual to whom it may concern) and asked to be indwelt by the Holy Ghost. I'm not really sure what I thought would happen, but at that moment, I was certain that nothing had happened. Spiritual fail. Rejected again.
 
   When I prayed that prayer, my image of the Father was of an angry old man who resented the life I had led and was looking forward to the day He's light my bones on fire. Man, was I wrong. The first notion I had that my prayer may have had some effect was a few days later when I unexpectedly realized that the Father was maybe mellowing on His anger toward me, then after a few more days I was startled to realize that I believed He actually loved me. These remarkable changes happened without opening a bible or hearing the Gospel message. Within another few weeks, I understood the Gospel, repented my sin and gave my heart to Jesus.
 
   How could I have known what was never told to me?
 
   1 John 2:20 NKJV says -- But you have an anointing from the Holy One and you know all things.
 
    The Greek word translated as anointing is chrisma, Strong's Exhaustive Concordance defines it wonderfully -- anointing, referring to the teaching ministry of the Holy spirit, guiding the receptive believer into fullness of God's preferred-will. This anointing functions through faith (pistis), with God inwardly persuading the believer of His preferences.
 
   Wow. That's exactly how He saved me. Through the anointing of the Holy Spirit, the Father guided me into His preferred-will, inwardly persuading me of His preferences. All born again believers experience this anointing through the indwelling of the Holy Spirit, but not all seem to be equally aware of His guiding presence. Romans 8:16 says -- The Spirit Himself bears witness with our spirit that we are children of God.
 
    So, the inner witness -- with knowledge of all things -- is active within us, witnessing to our spirit. He has also left us that same witness in a written revelation called the bible. Yet we often flail and worry and weep about life's circumstances as if it is impossible to discern an answer, when all we really need to do is ask, then listen.
 
   Remember, Strong's definition said that the receptive believer will be guided by the Holy Spirit into the fullness of God's preferred will. You know you are a Believer. You know you are indwelt by the Holy Ghost. But, are you receptive to His guidance? 
 
   What mystery of life are you trying to solve by the power of your own intellect, that could be simply understood by seeking the guidance of God who has united Himself with your spirit, and searching the written revelation He has left you?
 
   Ask, and it will be given to you. (Jesus of Nazareth, A.D. 33)
 
 
Copyright 2013 Mission of the Master Ministries, Inc. May be quoted in whole or in part without prior written permission if a link is provided to http://wordworkswednesday.blogspot.com

1 comment:

  1. Great post, Uncle Steve. Your question toward the top, "How could I have known what was never told to me?" really strikes a chord. We need to be telling people. For me, in this season of life, it's mostly my kids I need to be telling. But we all have someone!

    ReplyDelete