Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Cool Greek, Island Holidays, and Time Well Spent with Jesus

  Here's a cool thing about the Greek language. It has verb tenses that don't exist in English. It is interesting to think that although the bible was written and maintained for centuries in Hebrew, the New Testament was written primarily in Greek. This did not surprise God. In fact He planned it. It is peace generating to know we can rest in the understanding that we are continually saved by Jesus. But the same  verb tense applies to other important words which inform our faith walk daily. Sound too geeky? Why is this important? Let me demonstrate...
 
    In Greek, the aorist tense compares to what we would call the past tense - it represents something that has happened at a point in the past. In Greek, there is also a tense known as the perfect tense. Paul wrote in Ephesians 2:8 - For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith - and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God  The words have been saved sound like our past tense, but they are not. They are in the Greek perfect tense, so they imply that you are saved, having been completely saved in the past with ongoing results in the present, and by implication will continue to happen in all the future present moments. Jesus saved me on the day of my spiritual rebirth, is saving me now, and will continue to save me for all future nows. Hallelujah, Amen!
 
      The Apostle John wrote in 1John 1:1 - That which was from the beginning, which we have heard, which we have seen with our eyes, which we have looked upon, and our hands have handled, concerning the Word of life-- John is saying we have heard and have seen with the present result of still hearing and seeing and by implication we will continue to hear and see Christ in all future days. However, if I fail to sit with the Lord in prayer daily, my mind subtly begins to think of Him in the past tense. When this happens my lamp darkens, my heart shrinks, and my holy boldness turns to timidity. My faith walk is a daily walk, refreshed by daily time of seeing and hearing Jesus. My daily time with Him also refreshes my understanding that our relationship will continue to happen in all future days.

   A few verses later John wrote (1:8) - If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.  Dave Guzik wrote this in his commentary on 1John.

   There are few people today who think they are sinlessly perfect; but how many of us really think we sin? Many of us will say "I make mistakes" or "I'm not perfect" or "I'm only human," but usually we say such things to excuse or defend ourselves. This is different from knowing, and admitting, "I am a sinner." To say that we have no sin puts us in a dangerous place, because God's grace and mercy is extended to sinners. Not "mistakers" or "I'm only human" or "Nobody's perfect" people, but sinners. We need to realize the victory and forgiveness that comes from saying, "I am a sinner - even a great sinner - but I have a Savior who cleanses me from all sin." (Guzik)

   So here the present tense applies to us. If we drift into the self deceit of diminishing our sin to a lesser infraction, that thinking defines us as liars to God both now and in the future. When we reduce our sin to self correctable offenses, we reduce our need for a Savior.


   We've all heard that John spent time alone in exile on the Island of Patmos. I doubt if he would agree. As he wrote the Book of Revelation, John described hearing and seeing Jesus. He was actually on an island holiday with the Lord. Let's have a perfect tense experience with Jesus today, hearing and seeing Him as present now in our lives, moment to moment and as going to be present in all our future moments. Let's talk to Him, and listen to Him, walk with Him and worship Him.

   
Copyright 2012 Mission of the Master Ministries, Inc. May be reproduced in part or in whole without prior written permission if a link is provided to http://wordworkswednesday,blogspot.com
  





 


 

  



 
 
  

No comments:

Post a Comment