Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Running from the call of God


    Many people refuse to be used by God because they think of themselves as "not ready." But in a sense, we are never ready or worthy. If we were, the sufficiency would be in ourselves, not from God. (Guzik)


And we have such trust through Christ toward God. Not that we are sufficient of ourselves to think of anything as being from ourselves, but our sufficiency is from God, who also made us sufficient as ministers of the new covenant, not of the letter but of the Spirit; for the letter kills, but the Spirit gives life. (2Cor 3:4-6 NKJV)

 
   Some days I only have enough faith to believe God has saved me, but an insufficient faith to follow through on even the smallest things He asks of me. On worse days I seem to find my footsteps walking anywhere but in His will. According to Strong's, the most common word in the New Testament translated as faith is pistis, - belief with the predominate idea of trust (or confidence) whether in God or in Christ, springing from faith in the same. And we have such trust through Christ toward God.
 
   When the Holy Spirit calls me to any task I often think of my insufficiency to complete it. I used to try to tamp down that feeling. I tried to think positive, I tried to have a better attitude. Platitudic wisdom will never solve the problem of my human frailty. I will live in a perpetual state of "not quite ready" simply because I am human living in a world broken by sin. As Guzik said, If we ever felt completely ready, the sufficiency would be of ourselves and not God.

   God's will as expressed through His Word never asks me to take instruction from Him and then walk forward without Him, but our sufficiency is from God. So the proper response to a divine call or divine instruction or leading is not "I can't do it, Lord" but rather "I can't do it without You, Lord".

   Do you trust His Word? Then trust this -- who also made us sufficient as ministers of the new covenant. Sufficiency that comes from God can't end up insufficient. Christ, who is formed in us, makes us sufficient to accomplish whatever He asks of us. How is this sufficiency transferred to us? ....not of the letter but of the Spirit; for the letter kills, but the Spirit gives life.

    The next time Jesus lays a challenging call on you life, forget the notion of self reliance. Rely on Him and relax into submission to His will. I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. (preaching to myself here). Peace will overtake anxiety and Holy Spirit will empower the mission. Stop ignoring Him. Pray it out. Trust Him to be what you aren't. Step into His calling. Find the peace that comes when your footsteps are aligned with His.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment